Monday, September 13, 2010

Making Waffles!

I've been having fun experimenting in the kitchen and watching all kinds of cooking shows on The Food Network. One of my favs is "Good Eats" with Alton Brown. His episode about making your own waffles was intriguing since we go through a good amount of waffles per week here in the Bailey household. During one of my weekly phone calls with my grandmother, we got on the subject & long story short - she sent me her mother's old waffle iron (that would be my great-grandmother).


Wahoo! Brian & I anxiously waited for the UPS man to deliver it and were so excited to have homemade waffles for a fraction of the store bought kind! So today I made a triple batch to freeze. The recipe and photos are as follows (Remember this is a triple batch):


3 Cups each of All-Purpose & Whole Wheat Flour


9 Tbs Sugar, 3 tsp Kosher Salt, 3 tsp Baking Powder, 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda


6 Cups Buttermilk


9 Whole Eggs


6 oz Melted Butter


Mix the dry ingredients together first then whisk eggs in separate bowl. Slowly whisk melted butter into eggs, then slowly add buttermilk. Add wet ingredients into the large bowl containing the dry ingredients and gently mix together.
While still lumpy, let the mixture rest for 5 minutes
Turn on & preheat your waffle iron
Spray with nonstick spray and scoop mixture into waffle iron.
When (and only when) the light indicates the waffle is done, open and see your delicious waffle!
Let cool completely & slice apart.
Freeze & never buy Eggos again!
Clearly the kids enjoyed them!

0 comments: